Thursday, July 2, 2020

Post 8: Your main problems with academic writing and why texting is so much easier.

To Plan, or Not To Plan...

When we write an academic paper, like an essay for example, we know our work is cut out for us. We know we are in for late nights doing research in the library.  Spending to much time in front of the computer looking for that perfect reference that will blow everyone away. 

To properly write an academic paper takes planning, lots of planning.  I like to use 3x5 cards to write down notes, thoughts, ideas and the ever important Thesis Statement.  I will organised them in an attempt to make the ideas flow in a manner that makes scene.  I'll add some and throw some cards out. Add some quotes and references.  After all that, I'll fill in any blank places.  Next, I'll give it another once over and my even ask someone I trust to read it over and give me their opinion.  After all this is done, I'll rewrite it again and again. With each rewrite, I hope to make it just a little bit better.  

Add to this, the fact that college students will put off the assignment until just before it's due and rush the process leaving no time for proper rewrites.  In so doing, they are not writing to their potential.  So proper writing takes time and effort and must be planned.

This is the opposite when we write a text.  When we write a text, it's short, sweet and to the point. Well, it may not be that sweet, but they are to the point.  We also write them off the top of our head with usually no prior planning.  (Of course, this may get us in trouble with the family as we might say something that should have been kept quiet.)  We also have a very limited audience as we usually text to only one person at a time.  Add the fact that we use abbreviations and acronyms, no punctuation to speak of, and let the machine auto correct the spelling errors.  It is almost mindless. 

I guess I’m old school as I don't use acronyms and I capitalize when needed and always use proper punctuation (Well I make a strong attempt at it anyway.)  I hope this makes my texts easier and more enjoyable to read.  Isn’t that what we should always strive to do, whether it is a text or an Essay, is to not require the reader to put in effort but to simply enjoy our words.


1 comment:

  1. You note that texts can be "short, sweet and to the point," and that is true for the most part, but remember, they are short and to the point because you have already done much of the work before you write the text. Usually, you are texting to someone you know; thus, you have already put in many hours learning your reader and what is important to them. These many hours invested in your reader's context is what makes the texts so quick. Usually, when you are writing to an academic audience, you do not know the reader and they don't know you. You are both missing context; thus, you must rely on an artificial context such as an assignment and MLA to formalize your interaction.

    ReplyDelete

Christopher Columbus - Hero or Villain? HIST 2111

  In my book, Christopher Columbus is no doubt a Hero.   Columbus is defiantly not a villain for the simple fact that a villain’s actions ar...